The Ten Pillars of Delaying the Real World
Throughout Delaying the Real World you'll come across quotes and anecdotes from twentysomethings who've played their independence the right way and taken off running down the road less traveled. The tales and tips of these wise young folks echo one another and all point to a few crucial bits of advice. Follow these great pillars and you'll be off to an impeccable start in life:
- Thou Shall Not Rush in Vain. This is a crucial truth to get through your antsy little mind. Repeat after me: THERE IS NO RUSH! Many of the young adventurers who contributed to this book mentioned how they were initially nervous about "taking a year off" while peers dove into the real world. They later saw that they hadn't missed a beat and could pick right back up in Normalville (if they wanted to, that is). In the meantime, while everyone else had mastered PowerPoint, they'd gained invaluable experience out in the wide world that helped them sort out their goals. Considering you will likely retire in your late sixties isn't rushing into a monotonous grind a tad ludicrous?
- Remember What Year You're Living In and Keep It Holy. In order to make a good decision today you don't have to know what you want to do twenty years from now. Throw the question "What should I do with my life?" to the dogs and just handle your next step as a twentysomething. Take a minute to imagine a situation in which you might thrive, rise to challenges, and feel satisfied every day that you work. Sound easier than charting your entire professional career? Just a bit.
- Thou Shall Not Covet Thy Neighbor's Salary. Trust me, it's not worth envying. Most people who get high paying jobs right out of college end up giving up their lives in exchange for money that they don't have time to spend. Be willing to live on less and you'll buy yourself priceless freedom.
- Vary, Vary, Not the Contrary! Don't think everything you do has to be neatly related to your background and future goals. Having a diverse array of experiences can be even more impressive than a perfectly coordinated resume. The earlier you diversify and dabble in a number of areas and jobs, the quicker you will find your way to what you really love. Once there, your previous stints will come in handy. You might bring to the table expertise that no one else in your venue can provide. Never hesitate to vary.
- Blessed Are the Adventurous, They Will Stay That Way (and Then Inherit the Earth!). Don't underestimate the power of momentum. One pattern I've noticed among peers is that people who start off their twenties doing interesting things usually keep right on doing them. My theory was confirmed when I emailed young adventurers to gather tips and anecdotes. My token Alaskan wilderness tour guide was now finishing a novel and planning a volunteer vacation in Belarus (and by the way, did she mention she was in the Peace Corps and hitchhiked across Ireland?). My poster child for around-the-world traveler was currently job hunting in Boston, but PS-Ed that he would be in Havana (where I was, delaying the real world Cuban style) for an educational trip next week and might I want to meet up for a mojito? Let the serial adventurers of this book illuminate the power of momentum for you. Do yourself a favor this year and it may just last for life. Most people who have interesting jobs got them by doing interesting things first.
- A Journey of a Thousand Miles Begins with a Single Google Search. So said one insightful contributor to the book, and she couldn't be more right. You can access millions of opportunities and acquaint yourself with just about any organization or potential employer through the Internet. In fact, your real challenge will not be finding enough information, but sifting through the excess of it. The best approach is to copy and paste all of the information that appeals to you onto one word document. Once you are through web browsing, you can format the document to your liking and compare all of the options you have amassed. For example, a global volunteer program that was the first link on your web search might have a six thousand-dollar program fee. A similar organization listed a few pages later in your search results might actually pay you a monthly stipend. Laying all of the information out in on one printable document will also gather all phone numbers and contact details in one place. Once you start eliminating some possibilities and focusing in on others, you can easily highlight and write notes in the margins of your printed record (ie. "Called and spoke to director. Said to call back Tuesday.") Make things easy for yourself from the beginning.
- If It Seems Like a Long Shot, Shoot Long. One of the most remarkable things about the success stories in this book is that many of them came about through a move that seemed impossibly ambitious at first, then all too easy when it actually worked. Take Arianne Page-Eighty-Eight, for example. She was web browsing late one night and came across an English-language paper in Cambodia that piqued her interest. While others might have assumed that the publication was large (since the website was fancy) and that the editors would think she is a little American punk if she contacted them without reason (like a job posting), Arianne Page-Eighty-Eight decided she had nothing to lose. The publication might have been a three-man operation for all she knew! She shot the editor a carefully crafted email and he got back to her in minutes with an eager reply: We'd love to have you! Remember, people don't always publicize their needs. If you cold-call or email someone and display your passion for their line of work, they are likely to be impressed by you. Pay attention to how many of the contributors to this book made their plans a reality by taking a step that most other people wouldn't consider taking. Have some balls and always reach farther than you think you can.
- If Money Is Standing in Your Way, Plow it Down. You will notice that many of the young dreamers featured in the pages ahead faced serious financial difficulties. If you are like most youngins' and don't have a penny to your name, you'll just have to search a bit harder, send out a dozen more applications or resumes, and log in more hours of grunt work before making your grand plans a reality. There is no adventure listed in this book, perhaps with the exception of the pricey trek up Mount Everest, that could not be financed through some hardcore minimum wage work or temping. There are also plenty of cool jobs, internships, and volunteer programs that offer loan deferment and financial aid. Don't let money be your excuse to be lame; take it as a challenge.
- Just. Do. It. Could that sound any simpler? Yet it's by far the hardest step: actually carrying out those plans that seem too good to be true. This book can inspire your pants off, but in the end, it's up to you to score...(ahem), the mind-blowing job, I mean. The stories ahead illustrate how things have a tendency to fall in place once you take the first leap of faith. Moving abroad, for example, seems like such a drastic life decision that we want to have everything perfectly in place before buying the ticket. However, many young adventurers said that it didn't so much matter what they set up, but that they went ahead and made the move. Once in a foreign country, you can navigate through the opportunities much more easily and countless doors open. Of course it's a good idea to do your homework, but don't let the logistics keep you from committing to what you really want to do. Make a promise to yourself first-write it down if you think it will help-then dive into the practical questions of how you are going to make it happen. Be ready to act before you know exactly what you are getting yourself into.
- Redefine Real. In one way or another, every contributor to this book expressed that their adventures exposed them to a world more real than any fluorescent-lighted cubicle could have. They all swear by the value of what they pursued and insist they are fuller, more knowledgeable, worldlier people for doing something "a little different" than their peers. And lastly—the best test of a good decision—none of them have a regret to speak of. Neither will you.
Brooks & Dunn are an American Country Music group comprising of famous songwriters Kix Brooks and Ronnie Dunn. Brooks & Dunn got their big break in 1991 with the hit single,Brand New Man” which topped the Hot Country Songs charts. There was no turning back and since then , Brooks & Dunn have gone on to sell millions of records, making a big name for themselves in the music industry. Brooks & Dunn Tickets are on sale here at unbelievably low prices – you are guaranteed to get the best seats in the house. So hurry up, and get your Brooks & Dunn Tickets here today!
The Boston Symphony Orchestra initially performed in 1981 in its home concert hall the Symphony Hall the serene Tanglewood Music Centre in Lenox. The Boston Symphony Orchestra enjoys world class fame and popularity. It is undoubtedly one of the most cherished orchestras of all time. It is among the five leading orchestras in USA also calledBig Five.” As they are all for their next performance at Lenox the tickets would sell out the minute they become available in the market. Buy your Cheap Boston Symphony Orchestra Lenox Tickets and enjoy the show!
The critics have praised Chicago the Musical a thousand times. The reason behind that is the way with which it has been portrayed to the audience. The concept of the 'celebrity criminal' has been taken from this very musical. The rest you'll get to know once you've seen the show. The level of popularity has made Chicago the Musical the fourth longest running musical of today. Scene by scene each hidden portion of the story starts to unveil itself which turns out to be quite entertaining for the audience. Secure your Cheap Chicago - The Musical Tickets and enjoy the show to the fullest!
Disney on Ice the touring ice spectacular was first opened in 1981 by the name “The Walt Disney’s World on Ice”. The concept of the show is performing figure skaters on ice wearing costumes of Disney characters. Disney on Ice tours all around the globe even to the non-skating areas like Middle East Asia Australia and Europe. The musical is a “Feld Entertainment” production and is known to have enchanted crowd of all ages from children to adults. If you wish to watch this mesmerizing show at discounted rates in your town get Cheap Disney on Ice San Diego Tickets from us right away.
Nicknamed as The Fish by fans the Florida arlins play in Eastern Division of MLB's National League. Their home ground is at LandShark Stadium which is also the home field for two other teams namely Miami Dolphins and the Miami Hurricanes. The Marlins are the only team to have won their every postseason series so far. Their notable winnings were the victories in World Series in 1997 and 2003. The firstwin was in their fifth season which in the history of baseball is the speediest for any expansion team. Whenever they play the fans never miss the chance to grab the Cheap Florida Marlins Tickets !
Idina Menzel is a multitalented artist who has made her presence known in every possible form of art. She debuted as theatre actress wowing the audience with her role asElphaba in the award winning musical Wicked. She also landed a prominent role in hit theatre musicalHair. Not confining her talent to theatre only Menzel set her foot in the television industry doing prominent roles and climbed her way up to the films. She has now taken the center stage as an astounding singer and performer. If you are a fan of the diva then it's must for you to listen to her in live concert. Buy your Cheap Idina Menzel Tickets now and catch the superstar live as she sets the arena ablaze.
The popular country music group created in 2006 in the City of Nashville Tennessee USA is none other than the Lady Antebellum. The group contains three members - Charles Kelley as the lead and background vocalist Dave Haywood for background vocals guitar and mandolin and Hillary Scott as the lead and background vocalist. Lady Antebellum has a strong fan following and is critically acclaimed. Soon it can be seen live in concert so if you are one of the band's fans too then book your Cheap Lady Antebellum Tickets now and get ready to swing and sway on the melodic country music tunes! Recommended You Read
The Big Red Machine is getting ready to crush its competitors in an upcoming battle. The Cincinnati Reds have been playing their games at several popular stadiums such as the Crosley Field, Riverfront Stadium and currently at the Great American Ball Park. The team has also produced many award winning athletes in the previous years. Some of them are Jay Bruce, Bucky Walters, Joey Votto and Jeff Shaw. The Cincinnati Reds have shown true sportsmanship lately and today they stand among the top baseball teams of America. In order to support them, you need to get your Cincinnati Reds Tickets right away! The Full Details
Lowell's stage is ready for a music artist who has experimented with various music genres finally settling with country music. The American musician is Darius Rucker who first captured fame as a member of rock band Hootie & the Blowfish by being its lead guitarist and rhythm guitarist. He has been associated with the band since 1986, but turned towards country music as a solo performer in 2008. The artist has released two albumsBack to Then” (2002) andLearn to Live” (2008). The first three singles of the albumAlright”,It Won't Be Like This for Long” andDon't Think I Don't Think About It” have occupied #1 place on the US Hot Country Songs chart. Get ready to capture Darius Rucker Lowell Tickets!
It?s that time of the year again when all the die-hard Basketball fans will gather to witness their most favorite stars in a Basketball gala known as NBA All Star. Organized every year by National Basketball Association, this weekend extravaganza is filled with all the possible fun and thrills that basketball fanatics love to experience. It all started in 1951 when the first ever All-Star Game was played between the best players of the Eastern Conference and Western Conference. Now the players are chosen by fans and head coaches of different conferences. The resulted lineup always makes headlines and the game itself proves to be a hair-raising experience. If you want to join this year?s ultimate Basketball celebration, then book your NBA All Star Tickets right now.
Sasquatch Festival Tickets will let you witness an event that would take you into the world of the unreal as so much talent on a single stage leaves the audience in awe.
Universoul Circus was started in 1994 as a single-ring circus and today it is comprises of about 75 performers of African-American origin. The show consists of 12 acts and is based in Atlanta Georgia. The founder Cedric Walker had the dream to bring forth the talents other than performing and dancing he wanted to present to the world something different. Universoul Circus brings for the audience a unique set of circus tricks including bicycles aerial ballet clowns hip hop dancers animal tricks and zhukau acrobats. If you wish to see some stunning circus tricks grab your Universoul Circus Tickets today!
WWE is an entertainment sports company with focus on professional wrestling. It is the largest professional wrestling promotion in the world. Previously promoting under the banner of the World Wide Wrestling Federation (WWWF), and later the World Wrestling Federation (WWF), WWE currently promotes under three brands; RAW, SmackDown, and ECW each with its own WWE. WWE is also home to two of the three current world heavyweight championships recognized by Pro Wrestling Illustrated. The WWE roster has had plenty of cool characters from the early days of Bruno Sammartino, to the emergence of Hulk Hogan, The Rock & Stone Cold Steve Austin, to current stars such as John Cena, Triple H, Shawn Michaels, the Undertaker, Batista and Chris Jericho! Click This